Winners of Minor Sustainability Awards 2019November 19, 2020
11 November 2020 – Result of the Minor Sustainability Awards 2019 was announced at the first-ever virtual awards ceremony hosted by the Corporate Sustainability team on Microsoft Teams platform. After it was first launched in 2016, this year marks the 4th year of Minor’s recognition of business units that demonstrate connection of quantitative and qualitative economic and socio-environmental progress. There were 43 applications submitted from Minor’s business units worldwide, increased from 38 applications received in the previous year, and 16 of them were selected as the finalist. The wining team will receive a certificate and seed funding to support the continuity of sustainability initiative.
Best Sustainability Awards: Elewana Collection for hotels and Minor Dairy & Minor Cheese for non-hotels.
Elewana Collection’s initiative, Shanga Foundation, created jobs for people with disabilities from local communities and reduced waste to landfill by upcycling them into materials for its workshop. It also generated additional revenue and created positive reputation for hotel’s business.
Minor Dairy & Minor Cheese used the 3Rs principle of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and redesigned the packing process of its products, resulting in reduction of single-use packing materials which significantly reduced waste and carbon dioxide emission, and lowered disposal cost almost by half and reduced over 650 ton of CO2.
Outstanding Sustainability Awards:
• Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle Resort - Water and Excessive Wastewater Management.
• Royal Livingstone Victoria Falls Zambia Hotel by Anantara and Avani Victoria Falls Resort - Bee Keeping
• Sizzler - Taste the Future: Sustainable Meal with Plant-Based Meat and Cold-Pressed Juice
• Minor Food China - Human Capital - Develop Skilled Kitchen Talent for Business Needs program
Rising Star Sustainability Awards:
• Anantara Al Jabal Al Akhdar Resort - Cultural Walks Experience
• Anantara The Palm Dubai Resort - ADPJ Sustainability Achievements
• The Coffee Club Australia – Marketing - The Coffee Club Australia Sustainability Program
• Minor Food - Supply Chain - Transport Optimization program